Sunday, October 7, 2012

Design Crafts... What's that?

I've been teaching Design Crafts for... I think five years now. It's the offspring of a since retired colleague of mine and while it gave me anxiety to have a new prep (what doesn't give me anxiety?), I absolutely love teaching the class.

What is it?  Good question!  Most of our projects revolve around folk artsy things. I try to pick projects that have some good history, cultural references, aren't too expensive to make and are 3-dimensional.  Not all projects fit this category, but most.

Like every class I teach, I've got the Course Description, the warm-up drawings, the homework, the class projects and the final.  Once I lay the groundwork here, I'll post often so you will get the gist. 

For those of you interested, here's the Course Description for Design Crafts. 

Here are the lists for homework assignments. I give one a week, every week. 10 points each.
First Semester List
Second Semester List

Here are the lists for the warm-up or "Daily Sketches." They do a sketch every day of class and after 15 minutes I give them a stamp, if merited.  Each stamp is worth 5 points and I collect the stamp sheets at the end of each quarter.  There are some extra blank lines for them to do extra credit sketches as well. 
First Quarter List
Second Quarter List
Third Quarter List
Fourth Quarter List

For "stamping" their Daily Sketchbook Logs, I use these Rose Art Stamp and Color Washable Markers:

Hand Out days I give them, well, a hand-out to copy. I rip these off from all over the place: books I have, the internet and teachers more clever than me.  I never imagined I would be sharing them so I can't remember where most of them came from, but I promise that from here on out I'll make sure to site my sources.

I will start updating every week what our sketches are with examples so anyone interested can see the kind of work I get from my students with both the hand-out days and the "prompt" days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback, or just to know that you were here. Thanks for reading!