Monday, September 17, 2012

Calligraphy Supplies Still Not Here

Still waiting for all the papers, pens, handles, nibs and ink to arrive.  In the mean time, we had our Daily Sketch today which was a prompt, "Letters with Shadows."  I was curious to see what they would come up with, but most of the students translated it quite literally. 













I also started in on the history of writing with this Power Point and this coordinating study sheet with the important terms for them to take notes during the lecture.

Next, to have some hands on Sumerian fun, I gave each student this handout:


Then I gave each student a small piece of air dry clay and a wooden stylus to create their own Sumerian tablet.



(Girlfriend needs a manicure. Not classy! I guess neither is me pointing out, but still.)


Next class they will try to translate each other's symbols using the key on the worksheet, then we move on the Hieroglyphics!

The students learned how the Egyptians used pictographs which were simplified pictures to represent thoughts and sounds. They each drew a CARTOUCHE and wrote their names in Hieroglyphics!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback, or just to know that you were here. Thanks for reading!